§ 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
1. The contest „Freedom of Form” [hereinafter referred to as „Contest”] is organised as part of Interference Festival – 4. Festival of Visual Communication Forms by Fundacja Interference [Interference Foundation] with a registered seat in Gdańsk, Doki Street 1/224 – the main organiser of the festival [hereinafter referred to as „Organiser”].
2. The international contest „Freedom of Form“ has an open formula - it is addressed to individual authors as well as companies, legal persons, organisations, institutions, and artist collectives, provided that they meet all requirements concerning the copyright of the entered work(s).
3. The contest is addressed to participants who are of age [i.e. 18+].
§ 2. AIM OF THE CONTEST
The main aim of the contest is to select the best, the most aesthetically and creatively outstanding short visual works. Another aim is to collect works representing a broad spectrum of visual projects for presentation at the festival. The contest also aims to facilitate the presentation and promotion of young artists’ work.
§ 3. CONTEST STRUCTURE
Main contest – The Grand Prix will be awarded in four main categories to authors of the following visual forms:
- Music Video
- Experimental Short Visual Form.
Other prizes / distinctions:
- Audience prize
- Special prize for lifetime achievement and exceptional aesthetic sensitivity In justified cases, additional distinctions may be awarded.
§ 4. PRIZES
1. The contest prizes are financial and/or in kind.
2. The following prizes will be awarded in the main contest:
Grand Prix 2500 zł [gross value] sponsored by the City of Gdańsk, awarded in each of the following categories:
- Music Video
- Experimental Short Visual Form
3. Other prizes:
- Audience Prize w wysokości 2000 zł [gross value]
- Honorary award – Special prize for lifetime achievement and exceptional aesthetic sensitivity
§ 5. CONTEST SCHEDULE
- 22 October 2018 – official announcement of the competition at www.interferencefestival.com
- until 30 November 2018 – submission of entries via contest serwer www.contest.interferencefestival.com [till 12AM UTC+02:00]
- until 10 December 2018 – official announcement of the nominees by the Jury and Organizer. The nominations will announced at www.interferencefestival.com, the nominees will also be informed about their nomination via e-mail sent to the e-mail address indicated in the entry form.
- 13 December 2018 – official announcement of the winners during the festival and at www.interferencefestival.com The contest prizes will be paid out via bank transfer within 30 working days from the day of receving the award, after the deduction of relevant taxes.
§ 6. PARTICIPATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. All works shall be submitted to contest serwer www.contest.interferencefestival.com.
2. Submissions will be accepted till 30 November 2018 [till 12AM UTC+02:00]. Submissions sent after this deadline will not take part in the contest.
3. Every entity / person is allowed to enter two works maximum, with the proviso that every work is submitted to a different category. It is not possible to enter the same work in more than one
4. A condition in participating in the contest is filling in completely and correctly a submission form [in Polish or English] and transferring the film to the contest serwer [all films shall be titled in a
following way: Category_Name_Surname_TitleOfTheFilm].
5. Only entry works made in 2016-2018 will be considered.
6. To works created in different language than Polish or English, Polish or English subtitles should be insterted.
7. Only entry works that meet the formal requirements and criteria listed in §7. of this document will be considered.
8. Further selection is made by Contest Committee and Jury.
§ 7. ENTRY QUALIFICATION CRITERIA
Category Music Video:
a) Duration: maximum 10 minutes
b) Compliance with the definition: an authorial film form accompanying a music piece and relating to its content, a creative and original dialogue between two fields of art (music and the
c) Substantive criteria: professional filmmaking level, creativity of approach to this type of visual form, authorial character of artistic expression, exceptional visual value based on high quality
photography, montage, composition.
Category Experimental Short Visual Form [film / video art / animation]:
a) Duration: maximum 8 minutes
b) Compliance with the definition: film / video art / animation / found footage on any theme, produced in any style, exhibiting characteristics of innovativeness and artistic experiment.
c) Substantive criteria: professional filmmaking level, authorial character of artistic expression, creativity of approach to this type of visual form, experimental character on the level of technique
or/and content, innovative production or post-production technologies.
§ 8. FORMATS OF SUBMITTED FILMS
The Organizer accepts the following formats of works:
- CODEC: h264
Resolution: 1080p HD (1920 x 1080) / Aspect ratio: 16:9 / square pixels 1:1 / Bit rate of at least: 10,000 – 20,000 kbit/s
- CODEC: mpeg4
Resolution: 1080p HD (1920 x 1080) / Aspect ratio: 16:9 / square pixels 1:1 / Bitrate CBR: at least 7000
- Format: MOV
CODEC: h264 / Resolution: 1080p HD (1920 x 1080) / Aspect ratio: 16:9 / square pixels 1:1 / Quality min. 80%
§ 9. CONTEST SELECTION PROCESS
1. Entries submitted and qualified for the contest are first evaluated by the Contest Committee comprised of representatives of Organizer. Contest Committee carries out a preliminary selection based on assessment of compatibility with criteria listed in §7. of this document.
2. After the preliminary selection, the results of Contest Committee's voting are presented to Jury. Jury is comprised of notable members of cultural and artistic milieu and Polish media. Jury determines the official nominees from the works selected earlier and then determines one winner in each category from the nominations.
3. The proceedings of Contest Committee / Jury are led by a Chairman.
4. The preliminary selection and the subsequent contest process are documented in protocols. Protocols along with competition documentation are stored by Organizer.
5. The proceedings of Contest Committee / Jury shall be secret.
6. Contest Committee / Jury debates on sessions convened as necessary during the proceedings.
7. Every member of the Committee / Jury has one vote.
8. If two or more candidates receive the same number of votes, another round of voting is carried out, in which only the candidates with the same greatest number of votes take part.
9. The final list of works qualified in the selection procedure is approved by the Chairman of the Contest Committee.
10. The final list of nominated and awarded works is approved by the Chairman of the Jury.
11. The decisions of the Competition Committee / Jury are final and cannot be challenged.
§ 10. AWARDING ADDITIONAL / HONORARY PRIZES / DISTINCIONS
1. Audience prize:
a) Only nominated works whose authors agreed to participate in Audience prize contest in the submission form are taking part in the Audience prize contest.
b) The prize is awarded by the festival audience in an online voting.
2. Honorary awards – Special prize for lifetime achievement and exceptional aesthetic sensitivity:
The prizes are awarded by the Jury in agreement with the Competition Committee and on the basis of proposed candidatures.
In justified cases, the Jury has the right to award distinctions to nominated works.
§ 11. PROMOTION AND PUBLICATION OF THE FILMS QUALIFIED FOR THE CONTEST
1. By submitting a film for the contest, the participant agrees to its free screening during Interference Festival in Gdansk other presentations promoting the competition and Festival.
2. Submitting a film to Audience prize contest is tantamount to giving a consent to publish the entire film at Organizer's website within the period of duration of the plebiscite.
3. The Organizer reserves the right to use parts of the qualified films (no longer than 1 minute), as well as display information about the films at the festival website and in any other promotional
material (including the catalogue, programme, press releases, etc).
4. The Organizer reserves the right to use the promotional material both during and after the festival for purposes of contest and festival promotion.
§ 12. COPYRIGHT / LICENSES
1. By submitting an entry for the contest, the entrant declares that the entry work does not infringe intellectual property rights of third parties, including moral or economic copyright.
2. Should third party put forth any claims arising from the infringement of the abovementioned rights, the contest participant undertakes to cover any justified claims of third parties whose rights
§ 13. PERSONAL DATA
1. The administrator of personal data collected from participants and winners of the contest is Fundacja Interference [Interference Foundation] seated in Gdańsk, Doki 1/224. Processing of
personal data shall be done pursuant to the rules of Regulation (EU) No 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation).
2. Personal data of participants and winners of the contest will be processed on purpose of organizing and conducting the contest, tax purposes (regarding winners) and marketing purposes.
3. Providing personal data is voluntary, but necessary to participate in the contest.
4. Participants who provide their personal data have the right to access their personal data and the right to:
a) correct the data,
b) demand deleting the data,
c) restrict of processing the data,
d) move the data,
e) raise objections to the processing of data,
f) revoke the consent to process the data in any moment.
5. The Organizer will collect the following data:
a) name and surname,
b) date of birth,
b) e-mail address,
c) phone number.
And in case of being represented by an organization / company / institution:
a) VAT identification number.
6. The Organizer will collect the following data from the winners:
b) tax identification number,
c) name and address of respective tax office,
d) bank account number.
7. Participants have the right to file a complain to Inspector General for Personal Data Protection.
8. Participants give their consent to using their name and surname in the purpose of informing (also using media) about the results of all stages of the contest.
9. Participants give their consent to using their name and surname in the purpose of showing the films during festival screenings.
10. Organizer declares that personal data of participants will not be processed by automated means and will not be used for profiling.
11. Personal data of participants may be shared with third party in the following purposes: in order to implement obligations provided for under law, acting in accordance with legitimate interest of Fundacja Interference [Interference Foundation] within the meaning of the regulations of personal data protection; data may be shared especially with: banks, entities providing accounting services, entities providing postal and courier services.
12. Personal data of participants will be stored for a period necessary for aforementioned purposes.
13. Organizer applies technical and organizational measures ensuring data protection adequate to the threats and categories of data protected.
§ 14. OTHER PROVISIONS
1. By accepting hereby issue of the Terms and Conditions, the entrant declares that:
- he or she voluntarily proceeds to participate in the contest
- identyfying data disclosed to the Organizer is true
2. Candidates taking part in the contest will receive current information and communications concerning the course of the contest via email, at the email address indicated in the entry form.
3. Further information on the contest can be obtained by writing to the organizers at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. The Organizer retains the right to change the contest terms and conditions, suspend, cancel or terminate the contest without selecting any of the submitted works, at any time and without stating reasons.
5. This issue of the Terms and Conditions is the only document specifying the contest rules.
6. In matters not provided for in the Terms and Conditions or in matters requiring interpretation of the provisions contained in the Terms and Conditions, any decisions belong to the sole competence of the Organizer.
7. Any disputes arising from the Terms and Conditions or from the participation in the contest shall be resolved by the court competent for the registered seat of the contest Organizer.